Monday, August 8, 2016

The 3:00 A.M Wake Up Call for My Life

The first time I got up at that hour (on purpose) it changed my life.

To make a long story short, I needed people to run with and no one I knew was running my distance. I asked around and my friend Josh Pierce told me his friends Brian Gruender and Sam Benjamin were running at 4:00 a.m.

I have no idea why I said yes, it just felt right.

This decision was a literal wake up call for my life.

At the time Brian, Josh and Sam all served on the board for the Snowdrop Foundation of Wisconsin. This amazing organization helps fund pediatric cancer research and provides scholarships for pediatric cancer survivors. The people they serve are inspiring to say the least.

Here are a few of my biggest lessons because of that run:

  1. Brian, Josh and Sam have all completed 100 mile runs. The best part, the runs are not just about them. They are in honor or in memory of pediatric cancer patients. I was reminded that I can still kick ass, have fun and push my limits while helping other people. In fact this is one of my biggest motivations to push my limits. I am inspired by the people that I have the privilege to run for. They keep me going.
  2. This organization has shown me the best of the human spirit. People that have cancer are incredible. They are not angry or bitter at anyone, they may be angry at the situation but their love for people is beyond words. Their ability to find joy in the worst situations is inspiring. I think about all the things I let ruin my day and I am humbled by the kids and their families that are dealing with cancer, have dealt with cancer or have lost a loved one because of cancer. The ones that lost a loved when have taken their anger and hurt and turned it into finding a cure and helping other families that are fighting.
  3. This run started my fire for endurance events. When I am asked why I do  endurance events, my response is usually “I want to” or “why not” and while it may sound like I am being short what I mean is that if I want to go do something so I am going to go do it. The worst thing that happens is that I fail. We are filled with limitless potential.
  4. The pain that pediatric cancer patients and their families got through, grounds me. It helps me see the bigger picture. My pain is temporary and minor compared to what they go through. It is because of that mindset that I embrace pain. The best part of embracing pain is not the pain itself but the growth that occurs because of it. Pain is you pushing past your current limits.
  5. There is magic in an early morning run. You are in the dark with people that you need to trust. You build a bond and the hours seem to fly by, I actually looked forward to the early morning runs. The conversations ranged from some really stupid things to conversations that were personal, meaningful and profound. Many times we tell ourselves that we cannot have both, we cannot be funny and serious. The truth is that you need to have both if you want to get a point across. 
Here is the kicker. I never would have gone on the run if not for my friendship with Josh. I met Josh through my friend Christian. I met Christian over a cup of coffee and that coffee changed my life. You can read about that here. The smallest moments in our life, create the biggest impact.

Do you have a story of how a small moment changed your life? I would love to hear it and share it on my blog. Please email me and share it with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment