Thursday, April 28, 2016

Moments of Success



Most of us see success as the aftermath of an avalanche. We see the impact.
An avalanche is caused by different densities of snow building up, until the weight is too great causing a collapse and an avalanche.

Coming towards you an avalanche is a massive and powerful force that is made up of billions of snowflakes.

A snowflake by itself is nothing, it is harmless. Have you ever watched a snow flake fall the sky only to melt when it hits the ground? Snowflakes are the actions that we take. Some will melt on the ground while others will help us build an avalanche.

A snow flake is made up of ice crystals, something you cannot see without a microscope. Ice crystals are your thoughts and you beliefs. While you cannot see them unless you take a deep look inside yourself, they ultimately determine your actions that cause an avalanche.
Your old beliefs and actions and your new beliefs and actions are at odds with one another. 

You may have started with a weak base, as you start to build better habits, thoughts and actions, eventually they will overpower your weak base, just like the snow in an avalanche. So when it feels like the pressure is mounting, things are changing just remember you are about to take off.

I want to share with you two moments in my life that seemed insignificant at the time but ended up making a huge difference.

In college, I worked for the Union Marketing Department. One day I received a call from a parent that had sent her child a care package but he had yet to receive it. She had called numerous departments, had been bounced around and somehow she had ended up calling our office. Needless to say she was frustrated, upset and sad not just about the service but because her son never received her care package. I had two options. I could send her to another department and make them figure it out or I could work with her on it. I chose the latter. I cannot remember how long it took me to figure it all out but it was not long. I got her in contact with the right people, to make everything better. It was because of this one choice that her son was able to receive the care package that she had sent. The mother was so impressed with me going above and beyond (less than 30 minutes) that she wrote an email to my boss and told her how much she appreciated me helping her. In just 30 minutes I was able to make a women’s day become better, for one of the most important things in her life, her son.

A cup of coffee can change your life. One day, I told my friend that I wanted to help change the lives of youth which led to a cup of coffee that changed my life. He told me about a program he was in charge of called Rotary Youth Leadership Awards (RYLA). He told me about the impact and how it changes lives, not just of those that attend but those that interact with attendees after they attend RYLA. In that moment I agreed to take over the program, not having a clue about anything. RYLA is one of the most significant parts of my life, it has changed my life. I have met so many wonderful, amazing and inspiring people who are changing the world right now. I never would have been able to experience this if it were not for a cup of coffee.


These are just two example of what happens when you make the most of a moment. How small moments that seem insignificant at the time can change your life or the change the lives of your friends, family, or someone you do not even know. These stories are not meant to brag about what I have done. The truth is that you could be in these stories if you chose to be. It is all about your choice. Every moment you have a choice. Will you half ass it or will you use all your ass? This is the one time that it is not just ok but great to be a big, giant ass.

No comments:

Post a Comment