Wednesday, January 13, 2016

You've been served



Driving we had to pull over, because of the rain pouring down on the highway, I was on my way to complete my first ultramarathon. It was cold, dark and rainy, the perfect weather for a run, right? We pulled into the parking lot; we put on our headlamps and made our way over to check-in.

It is time to start; we get to the start line. The rain was less intense. Trying to climb up the hills and not fall and then slip and slide your way down made for an even bigger adventure. There were many times that I wanted to stop but I couldn’t, I had promises to keep. Eventually the sun came out and it turned out to be a nice day, in fact I think we may have had fun.

I had promises to keep. My first ultramarathon was the first time I really ran for someone else. I ran for my friend’s son Isaiah, who was diagnosed with cancer. My strength came from him, his courage, his ability to keep fighting every day and to never give up.

Running does not have to be a zero sum game. I tell people the reasons why I run and who I run for and they get this entranced look on their face. The response I hear most times is that running is too personal, they could never give up a passion they have for someone else.

When you run for someone else, you do not lose anything; in fact you gain everything that you could imagine and more. Every race that I have done for someone else, it was also a personal gain for me. I got so much more out of it, than those that I ran for.

I met and continue to meet some of the most amazing people because I chose to run for someone else. These people are selfless, inspiring and crazy individuals you will ever meet. It goes beyond the actual people I run for and into their community that supports them, all of these people are incredible. I never would have met them if I would have believed that I could only run for myself.

Forget the running, apply this to everyday life. Start to serve others and help others. When we help others that is when we truly begin to live and experience life, we get to see how wonderful the world really is and all the potential that is out there.

We feel guilty when we feel good about helping others, how stupid is this? We put ourselves through a guilt trip when we feel good about doing the right thing. We can help others and at the same time help ourselves.

You are going to get mistreated, abused and hurt but it pales in comparison to the true friendships and impact that you will have when you start to serve others.



When I started running for and serving others, is when my potential truly became unstoppable.

No comments:

Post a Comment